In this post I am sharing tips to prepare a Good Functional Specification:
Here are the tips:
- Use a Template: Always a use a template to prepare a Functional Specifications. Template should have all the required fields like Purpose, name of program (if there is any modification in existing program), T code (if applicable). Name of functional consultant, technical consultant etc. Template makes the functional specification a standard document.
- Provide Test Data: A functional consultant should always provide Test Data for Development server (test client). Test Data helps the Technical Consultant to test all the combinations of data for particular scenario. This avoids rework.
- Mention Selection Screen: Whenever you prepare functional specification for a report, always provide the fields of selection screen. Also try to prepare the screen in Mspaint and paste it in Functional specification. Here don’t forget to mention which field you want as mandatory (obligatory) and where you want range and multiple selection.
- Mention Data Type: Whenever you mention about fields in FS always mention the Data Type like whether it is a NUM or CHAR or DAT. This helps the technical consultant while writing code. Many times it happens that field with similar Data Type are technically same and we can use them in their coding to represent each other.
- Name of Enhancement: Always mention the name of BADI, BAPI or User Exit if applicable in Functional Specification. This reduces efforts of a Technical Consultant in his/ her work.
I hope you liked this article. I will keep on updating these tips for better understanding and interviews.
Vaibhav is an engineer by schooling and an SAP Consultant by training with 12 years of experience. He is certified in SAP PM and SAP MM. His expertise includes SAP PM, SAP MM, SAP QM, and MS excel. His industry specialties are Chemical, Automobile, Electronics and Infrastructure. He has lots of experience in SAP Training and Consulting.