Catalog in SAP PM
Catalog is master data in sap pm module. It is used in various business process to capture information related to maintenance history in the form of codes. We can store catalog codes and descriptions in a Catalog.
While entering the maintenance history we can use these catalog codes in maintenance notification and measuring points and measuring documents. Business benefit of using catalog codes is the data redundancy. Business user is not required to enter same history description again and again. They can simply use the code.
If user wants to enter “Leakage in Pipe”. Then user can simply enter the code such as “0001” or “LKGP” or “MEC1”. User is not required to enter the entire text every time when any leakage happens. We will have to maintain all such codes in SAP while configuring the system.
We can create catalog codes with reference to catalog. Catalog can be Cause, Damage, Object etc.
Group of all such codes is known as Catalog in SAP PM. We also recommend to go through the article on concept of catalog profile.
Let us understand the step by step process to create a catalog and code in SAP PM.
Step 1: Run t code QS41 or go to this path
Logistics->Plant Maintenance->Maintenance Processing->Environment->Catalog->Edit
Here you will get a selection screen
- The screen shot above shows the field Catalog. Value of Catalog can be Cause, Damage, Object as shown in below screen shot.
- This field is Code Group. This field can be entered manually. Its maximum length is 8 Characters. For example: MECHWRK, ELECWRK or CIVILWRK. Every department can have its own Code group.
- If you click on the icon shown in screen shot, the list of all catalogs will appear on the screen.
Where you can select the relevant Catalog such as 5 – Cause, C – Damage or B – Object part.
Press enter and get into the Code Group overview screen
Step 2: As per the screen shot below enter description, status and go to code section.
- Enter description of Code group. Length of this short text is 40 Characters.
- Set the status of code group as “2-Released”. Then only it will be available to use.
- Then select the code group row.
- After selecting the row, click on the code to open new screen to enter codes and their description.
Step 3: Click on New Entries button as shown in the screen shot below.
Step 4: Enter code and short text for code. This information is the maintenance history which will be used again and again in maintenance notifications.
- Enter the Code. This code can be a numeric digit or an alphabet else it can be a combination of both of them.
- Enter short description of code. Maximum length is 40 characters.
Step 5: Click on SAVE button.
Once you click on SAVE button, system will ask you to create a transport request as shown in below screen shot.
Enter the short text and click o SAVE button.
Usage of Catalog and codes will be explained in maintenance notification processing.
You can also get some good piece of stuff on catalog here also.
4 thoughts on “Catalog in SAP PM”
Very helpful sir
I followed your two blogs which to say the least are absolutely awesome and the best there is so far in explaining catalog profile.
I have have one question though, this is in regards to your first blog where you created the code group MECHANIC and then four codes under it (In your case you have Leakage in pipe but I know you want to show there can be different codes under mechanical)
I would like to create two more, ELECTRICAL and INSTRUMENTATION and use the same set up you used for MECHANIC
From the above, I now would like to go to your second blog illustration and create a catalog profile that will allow me to See all the the three, MECHANICAL, ELECTRICAL and INSTRUMENTATION code groups, and be able to open each of the folder as needed to do my selection when creating a notification.
I will appreciate your feedback
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. You have raised a very logical question.
I am writing another article where I will cover step by step process to add multiple code groups in catalog profile for a specific catalog. For ex: in Catalog “Cause”, if you want to see only three Code groups like MECHANIC, ELECTRIC and INSTRUMENTATION. Then how we can configure it.
Please wait for 3-4 days.
I have added the desired information on my website.
Comments are closed.