Master Data in SAP MM
Master data in SAP MM is the building block of all the business processes. It not only affects MM processes but also PM, QM, SD, FICO, PS and EHS module business processes. There are 9 master data in SAP MM.
SAP MM master data list
Master data in SAP MM are building blocks of all the MM business processes. There are nine master data objects. All the Logistics modules uses Material master therefore its quality must be good.
In a full life cycle implementation project master data design plays a critical role. Poor designing of master data and its nomenclature can totally ruin the show. If you load garbage in system, system will throw garbage. You must take care of following tips while designing master data with business:
- Material Master designing is a joint activity between MM, SD, QM, FICO, PP, PM and EHS.
- Vendor master design is a joint activity between MM and FI.
- Nomenclature of Material Master, Service Master and Vendor master id and their description should be design as per a logic to avoid any kind of duplicate data.
- For ex: First 2 characters of material master should indicate material type such as Raw material, spare part or semi finished material. The next character can indicate its Function. Such as it is Air Circuit Breaker, Pump, Shocker, etc. Similarly you can decide the nomenclature of vendor master and service master. But you must do thorough study of master data before giving any recommendation. As per scope of project this activity can be done by client. You can only give consultation by showing examples.
- Develop a Material Cataloguing tools for generating material number.
- Finalize the Material type at the beginning of the blue print phase.
- Procedure to create the master data post go live must be defined during implementation itself. Responsible person must be in place with all templates.
- Do not forget to ask for material or vendor description in client local language.
- For ex: If you are working for a German client then client may ask to enable master data uploading program to handle multiple languages such as German, Dutch etc.